Living In Sydney

Sydney is the largest city in Australia with a population of approximately 4 million people with famous icons such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. It is a cosmopolitan city with friendly and outgoing people. ACMT students are ideally placed to take advantage of what Sydney has to offer.

It is difficult to adjust to a new environment that’s why we ensure that you have all the information you need upon arrival in Sydney. Below are a few things you need to know:

Cost of Living

Cost of living in Australia may vary considerably depending on how you spend, where you study, the course you choose to study, where you choose to live and lifestyle you lead. ACMT estimates that the cost of living in Sydney for an international student may require a minimum of AUD $15000 to AUD $25000 for each academic year. It is a requirement of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship that, from 1 July 2012, prospective overseas students will need to demonstrate that they have access to at least AUD18610 a year to fund their living costs in Australia which come approximately AUD $360 per week.

The international student wishing to bring their spouse and school-aged dependents children should use the indicative figure to plan for the living expenses for each additional family member. In addition, the student will be required to pay the full fees for schooling of his/her school-aged children.


As an international student you are legally allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during your course terms and unlimited hours during your school holidays.
The best way to get a job is through word of mouth – through friends, and fellow students. For other jobs, look at the Saturday “Sydney Morning Herald” or the” Telegraph” or go on-line to or or

In order to be able to work you need two things;

  • TAX FILE NUMBER – A TFN is a unique number issued to individuals and organisations to help the Tax Office administer tax and other Australian Government systems. For more information on TFN you can visit Australian Tax Office.
  • WORK PERMIT – International students studying in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work once they commence their course. Applying for a student visa with permission to work can be done electronically or on paper using form 157P.

For more information on how to apply for work permit visa please visit:


In Sydney the cost of shared accommodation varies between $100 and $200 per week per person.

There are several ways to find a place to live. You can check the advertisements in the newspaper like Sydney Morning Herald. They have advertisements for flat and house shares every Saturday. Also, try searching online at . If you have trouble understanding anything in the advertisements ask your teacher or friends for help.

You can also visit a real estate agent to see if they have any suitable property for you to rent.


The College is about 500 m away from the Sydney Town Hall railway station and just a block away from the nearest bus stop. Being located at the centre of the Central Business District, there are many public transport options to all areas of the greater Sydney area.

Trains and buses run regularly throughout peak hours and Town Hall Railway Station is an interchange for most of Sydney’s major rail lines. Timetables are available at the station or can be consulted at the Transport Infoline.